This year has been… a year. While everyone seemed to have what we could collectively describe as a “shitty year,” everyone has had a very different 2020. This year, we couldn’t all meet up at festivals all over the country or the world. This year we couldn’t high five each other, chug cheap beer, and scream along to songs in a basement (or garage or sticky venue) on a Friday night. All the things that seemingly made us “us” were stripped away, leaving other facets of ourselves that we had long since forgotten or placed on an upper shelf to collect dust for some day when we would have more free time.
I’ve spoken to people who feel like they lost their hold on music and others who clung onto it for dear life like a life preserver. It’s been… a year. And while everyone has bravely faced 2020 with a different arsenal of supplies, this resulted in a variety different outcomes. That’s why, in addition to our contributors’ End of the Year Lists, we at Bad Copy have reached out to a handful of friends involved in music this year and asked them to share their top lists. Music, movies, photos, memories, new hobbies – much like 2020, nothing is off the table when it comes to these lists. Let’s find a little good in the bad, try to laugh at what we can’t control, and pray that we will be able to safely see each other soon. First round is on me. – Kendra Sheetz, Editor
Jason’s Top 10 AFI songs because he messed up his Facebook bracket and he’s still upset about it even though the most recent song on this list was released in 2003. He’s a dumb goth mallrock baby.
10. “Sacrifice Theory”
9. “A Single Second”
8. “The Boy Who Destroyed The World”
6. “Silver and Cold”
5. “The Lost Souls”
3. “Of Greetings and Goodbyes”
2. “Bleed Black”
1. “The Prayer Position”
(Other than that – check out Mercy Music’s new album, Nothing in the Dark, because it’s a friggin’ banger.)
Bastian’s most listened-to albums this year. They’re not all 2020 releases but shut up ya friggin’ narc.
10. NOFX – The Decline (Live at Red Rocks)
9. Goldfinger – Hang Ups
8. Hell & Back – Slowlife
7. The Ghost Rockets – The Ghost Rockets
6. Ozzy Osbourne – Ordinary Man
5. Worlds Greatest Dad – Get Well Soon
4. Billy Liar – Some Legacy
3. Dollars for Deadbeats – Was it a Good Night?
2. Alf – (01-102)
1. The Penske File – Salvation
Cory’s Top Albums that were actually released in 2020 because he’s probably a cop.
10. IDLES – Ultra Mono
9. Biffy Clyro – A Celebration of Endings
8. Run the Jewels – RTJ4
7. The Killers – Imploding the Mirage
6. Drive-By Truckers – The New OK
5. Kvelertak – Splid
4. Great Peacock – Forever Worse Better
3. Violent Soho – Everything is A-OK
2. The Mountain Goats – Getting Into Knives
1. WYLDLIFE – Year of the Snake