With things starting to get back to “normal,” there’s been a surplus of incredible records, amazing movies, and lots of room for some pretty rad moments. Some of the moments came from going to concerts, or accomplishing goals I might’ve been putting off. One of the absolute best moments of all time was getting married to a beautiful, super rad woman I met on Tumblr in 2014, only to finally meet in person at Emo Nite in 2018. I also became a stepdad to an absolutely brilliant and amazing girl. It’s been an absolute blast and being a husband/dad rules.
There were also some pretty shitty moments, from losing our cat to leaving a job I loved for a job that was completely unknown territory. But luckily those shit moments were far fewer than the good times I had this year. Here’s a list I compiled of some of my favorite things from this year, with some of my favorite photos I took sprinkled in at the end. Enjoy, and here’s to 2023!
Top 10 Favorite Records
- Oso Oso – sore thumb (Triple Crown Records)
- Alvvays – Blue Rev (Polyvinyl Records)
- Drug Church – Hygiene (Pure Noise Records)
- Harry Styles – Harry’s House (Columbia Records)
- Joyce Manor – 40 Oz. To Fresno (Epitaph)
- White Lung – Premonition (Domino)
- Dehd – Blue Skies (Fat Possum Records)
- Anxious – Little Green House (Run For Cover)
- Bloc Party – Alpha Games (Infectious Music)
- Superchunk – Wild Loneliness (Merge Records)
Top 10 Favorite Songs
- Blink-182 – “Edging”
- Oso Oso – “De Facto”
- Sydney Sprague – “Think Nothing”
- Saturdays At Your Place – “Tarot Cards”
- PUP – “Matilda”
- White Reaper – “Fog Machine”
- Harry Styles – “Keep Driving”
- Samiam – “Lights Out Little Hustler”
- Drug Church – “Super Saturated”
- Joyce Manor – “Souvenier”
Top 10 Best Moments
- I GOT FUCKIN’ MARRIED!!!!
- Tom DeLonge came back!
- I got to see the Lakers play from the best seats I’ll probably ever get, thanks to my WIFE! (They lost, though).
- I took my photography to another level and started doing paid shoots.
- I get to spend Christmas in LA with my WIFE and KID!
- I worked my first music fest with some really rad people.
- I finally got my ass on something for my ADHD.
- I got to interview Laura Jane Grace for a podcast!
- I finally got to see/shoot Turnstile & Joyce Manor. We also got to see Alkaline Trio with tickets we bought two years ago.
- I fell in love with photography again.
Top 10 Things I Watched
- Ozark (Netflix)
- House of the Dragon (HBO Max)
- Barbarian (HBO Max)
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Stranger Things (Netflix)
- Limitless With Chris Hemsworth (Disney+)
- Bullet Train (Netflix)
- White Lotus (HBO Max)
- All of the Harry Potter movies
I managed to take a lot more photos this year than I have in the past three or four. Most of them are of bands and shows I went to, but there’s also some personal ones in here I wanted to share. After all, I do shoot more than just shows: